Monday, September 5, 2011

Femininity


"I wonder if you sisters fully understand the greatness of your gifts and talents and how all of you can achieve the 'highest place of honor' in the Church and in the world. One of your unique, precious, and sublime gifts is your femininity, with its natural grace, goodness, and divinity. Femininity is not just lipstick, stylish hairdos, and trendy clothes. It is the divine adornment of humanity. It finds expression in your qualities of your capacity to love, your spirituality, delicacy, radiance, sensitivity, creativity, charm, graciousness, gentleness, dignity, and quiet strength. It is manifest differently in each girl or woman, but each of you possesses it. Femininity is part of your inner beauty.

"One of your particular gifts is your feminine intuition. Do not limit yourselves. As you seek to know the will of our Heavenly Father in your life and become more spiritual, you will be far more attractive, even irresistible. You can use your smiling loveliness to bless those you love and all you meet, and spread great joy. Femininity is part of the God-given divinity within each of you. It is your incomparable power and influence to do good. You can, through your supernal gifts, bless the lives of children, women, and men. Be proud of your womanhood. Enhance it. Use it to serve others."

-President James E. Faust

Had a rough day yesterday. I was flossing my teeth late Saturday night and one of my teeth fell out. FELL OUT. I know, how very gross. It was one with a cap on it that I think I had a root canal on several years ago. I'm very good about brushing my teeth and fairly good about flossing --but I haven't been to the dentist since we moved here (over a year!!! AHHH!) because well...it has been a little crazy. AND I realized that when I went to the dentist before we moved I was pregnant so they didn't take any x rays. So I think I have probably had a cavity brewing under that cap for quite awhile.

So anyways...I was feeling extremely hideous yesterday and was just down in the dumps. One tiny tooth snowballed into a day of total self-deprecation. I kept imagining myself toothless and homeless in a few short years, fatter than ever of course.

I read this quote last night (thanks amber) and am feeling much brighter today. I still have a lot to offer the world (we all do) albeit toothless. I think I and most the woman I know need to stop focusing on our imperfections and think more about how we can enhance our femininity through doing good, loving and helping others.

It is very easy for me to become somewhat obsessed with outward appearance. My mother raised my sisters and I on the phrase "pain before beauty". Taking pride in your appearance certainly holds some validity but shouldn't hold our self worth.

Take care of yourself, exercise, GO TO THE DENTIST, get your hair done, count calories... but don't forget about working just as hard at enhancing your inner beauty. It's far more important in the long run. And inner beauty won't go clanking into the sink and disappear without notice.

8 comments:

  1. Allison! That is so, so sad! And a little funny. . . just a little. We need to hang out more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Allison,I too have teeth made of candy corn. In fact, I have had one crumble, partially fall out, need to be extracted which then formed a dry socket and yes I felt like a hideous goon for a time. I love the quote you shared and am now convinced that you and I (with a little work) will become so blindingly gorgeous from all that inner beauty that noone will notice when the next few teeth make their exit. ;) I love you immensely and all jokes aside have always believed you have a special inner beauty in the way you love others with open arms. I'm so lucky to call you dear friend. PS- what are you doing this weekend??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and I love you. I can't wait to see you next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too awesome and too silly. You are not going to be toothless and homeless, goober! However, good points none the less. You are as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside, one tooth not-withstanding! lol

    Hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was Missy Elliott who counseled: "If you're a fly gyal, then get your nails done
    Get a pedicure, get your hair did." Which reminds me I'm going on day three and definitely due for a shower.

    But seriously, that is an awesome quote by Elder Faust. It really puts things into perspective and makes you feel like you can be and do so much more.

    And if it's any consolation, even if you where a hobo, you'd still be hot because you can pull off pretty much any look and make it look sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toothless.... Homeless... And fat as ever! Hahaha I laughed so hard! That is exactly how my mind works... It's nit a simple trip to the dentist.... It's a catastrophe... And weight gain! Ha! Love you! And you're gorgeous! Tooth or no tooth! And you have the amazing ability to make everyone around you feel beautiful! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed so hard too at the toothless and homeless remark. I could just hear your voice (laughing like we did all night in China) crying out that you'd be toothless, homeless and fatter than ever and I cracked up. Of course I'm not laughing at you, just laughing at the extremes we women go to. Thanks for the quote...I need to share it with my young women on sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful advice! keep sharing your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete