Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Here comes Fall








We are entering the best time of year. Three days till the first day of Fall. So much to love about this season.

I'm very sad that I missed the Utah State Fair. Next year I am going to plan a visit specifically around being able to attend. The Colorado State Fair is in Pueblo which is a couple hours away but maybe we will have to make the trek out there too sometime. Nothing like a good fair. We did hit up a darling little fall fest at Karl's Dairy Farm on Saturday that did not disappoint. It was free and small but I was really impressed with all the different attractions. They had this darling little petting zoo where the bigger stalls with the donkeys and cows closed in an area where sheep and goats and a pig were free to run around amongst all the kids. We fed them grain and carrots and Rosie and Evie loved it. The girls also had their first pony ride and were delighted.

Fall is my favorite season to decorate for. I wasn't sure how I was going to decorate the kitchen and the family room because they are both that crazy blue that just screams springtime. And I also have those tiles above the fireplace that are attached with adhesive strips that I don't want to take down...none of which are very conducive to Halloween decor. I almost decided to skip that room altogether but that seemed like a shame because that is the area we are in the most. So I have been working on spook-ifying the mantel over the fireplace and it's done. It's certainly still blue... and springy...but I'm glad I didn't skip it.

As a side note, I certainly hope people reading this know that I'm not trying to convince anyone or myself that I'm a crafty, creative person. I am not. Not one of my little projects is an original idea or even done very well. I've just been in a crafty mood lately and I blog about it because well...I don't have that much going on. My girls are excellent sleepers and still nap between 3-4 hours a day so between 3 and 5 in the afternoon I like having something to work on...besides reading, blogging, cleaning or making dinner. I know the work we do in our homes is so important. The reading stories, wiping faces, changing diapers, and crawling on the floor is such a special job and I'm so blessed it's my job. It is rewarding. But some days I need something tangible to hold up and say- "THIS is what I did today." Ben is always really sweet about all my silly projects but I have an inkling that in his heart of hearts he doesn't really care about painted pumpkins or fabric covered foam board. Weird. So I hold things up here.

4 comments:

  1. Allie, Your idea for the mantle was great. I love how you just "re-did" (kinda) the tiles. That's a great idea. And I think you are selling yourself short. You are definitely one of the most creative and crafty people I know (in more ways than one ;)

    Oh, and the dark bookshelves I have in my room are from IKEA via Craigslist. But they're not too expensive at IKEA, I'm just super cheap...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello darling! The mantle looks fabulous! I love the cut outs on the tiles- and that stenciled pumpkin- SO CUTE! Way to be. I haven't gotten out any of my fall decor yet! Aaah! Oh, and I'm SO jealous that you dog sit. Can you possibly think of a better side job for me? When I have a house I'm going to fill it with pooches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks really good!!! I wish we'd known about that little fall fest, it looks like it was a blast! It was soooo good to see you at the BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mantle!! You have done such a wonderful job on your house! It is gorgeous! You are totally crafty and incredibly good at it!!

    ReplyDelete