Friday, September 9, 2011

Labor Day and the week to follow


Oh sweet Labor Day. Loved having a nice long weekend with my fam. Typically when a three day weekend rolls around we start trying to arrange some sort of mini vacation but this time we decided to stick around home. It was perfect. The weather suddenly cooled off from the 90s to the 70s. We went to two backyard BBQs, a luau surprise birthday party, had friends over for a movie and homemade ice cream, went into Boulder for the Hometown Festival, and went on a 15 mile bike ride along the Big Dry Creek Trail. With all the jam packed fun I'm surprised I had time to spend most of Sunday sulking over my missing tooth. Which is still missing by the way-- dentist on Monday. But first, another lovely weekend...
Had a slower week. Spent most of it at home crafting, cleaning, baking, and planning Halloween decorations. I have been gathering awesome ideas off of pinterest. If you aren't on it, you need to be. I got this idea to brighten up bookshelves in my house by painting/fabric-ing foam board to make noncommittal, fun changes. Tried it on my living room shelf and it was super easy and cheap but I'm still trying to decide if I like it...I'm thinking it's too busy. BUT that's the wonderful thing-- you can slide the foam board out and change it whenever you want! Still working on the shelves in the family room. Pics when it's done.

Had the cute sister missionaries over for dinner last night. I made a carrot cake with maple cream cheese frosting (also found on pinterest) and it is heavenly. It took a bulk of the afternoon but I really enjoyed making it and Rosie and Evie helped by carrying and gnawing on carrots for a few hours.

I love carrot cake and it's always been a favorite. I have this awesome memory of my sixteenth birthday party that exploded into a million people at the house. Lots of people I did not know including some questionable characters. My mom had gotten one of those Costco carrot sheet cakes-- you know the kind with all the mini frosting carrots on top?-- and cut it up and walked around the house offering pieces to a bunch of thug-types who were break dancing in our basement. Most refused. So embarrassing but so cute. My fabulous Benny brought me home this gorgeous autumn plant basket and my favorite chocolates the other night. For NO REASON at all- just because he's sweet like that. (and because I often make comments/suggestions to lead him in the right direction...) What a lovely surprise.Cutie pies 1 and 2 have been playing their little hearts out. I have been terrible about putting them in shoes. I can literally count on one hand how many times I have done it. It's just one more step I can't bring myself to do after they are both dressed and ready to go. I'm feeling a little regretful now because not only do I have about five pairs of darling little baby shoes they will never wear, but they look so adorable in them! I decided to start being a better mom and making a bigger effort when we go out because Evie is now walking all over town and she loved wearing her little sneakers. They look all grown up and ready for school. Cute, cute.

4 comments:

  1. I love the bookshelves! You'll have to teach me your crafty ways when I visit next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the pattern behind the bookshelf looks great!! Definitely adds some fun personality! My question is... how in the heck do you keep your girls from playing with all the books and papers on the bottom? Jaden would have them torn apart in no time! ;)

    Love the shoes too! Your little babies are turning into cute little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the foam boards--what a nice touch! girls are always getting bigger--are they both walking now? beautiful cake--you are to talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Love the girls in their shoes. Z and I are such shoe hounds that Mia already has a bajillion pairs. :) Also, the backing on the bookcase looks so chic! Love it!

    ReplyDelete