Monday, May 2, 2011

HRH

I for one loved watching the Royal Wedding. Yes, it may have had way too much hype surrounding it. No, it certainly is not the most important thing going on in the world. But it was certainly part of history and fun to watch from afar.

Woke up at 2am and was a little disgruntled when I realized the ceremony didn't actually start for TWO more hours. Tried to go back to sleep...no luck. Watched the whole thing. It was a little slow and a little long and I wish we had gotten to see some dancing or hear some speeches but it was lovely. I'm really glad I got up to see it live because the next morning was crazy making scones and taking care of my own two mini princesses. Had a group of gals and babies over to watch the recording and eat celebratory food. Although I think some of them were just humoring me-- we had a great time.

When I was making the cake the day before, both my mom and husband made disparaging comments about my baking skills. There is a famous story about me making a "cornbread cake" for one of my college roommates birthday parties years ago. I volunteered to make the cake and it was my first time to try one from scratch. I decorated it really cute and we had a bunch of people over. We sang happy birthday, I passed out plates, and then watched in horror as everyone took their first bite and got a funny look on their faces. It was so bland and SOOOO dry that it just crumbled apart on the plate. I don't know what went wrong but it was EXACTLY like cornbread with frosting on it. I took the huge amount of left overs home to SLC to show my family and have been getting flack for it ever since. I finally lived down that demon. My sister taught me how to do the roses and this cake was perfect and delicious.

When I was in middle school I remember getting up in the middle of the night to watch Princess Diana's funeral with my mom. Shortly after, I had a poster of Prince William on the inside of my closet door-- which is a little creepy because he was probably no older than 12 in the picture. Poor kid.

There was something neat about being up again in the night to see William get married. It was fun to have an excuse to be excited and celebrate something silly. Nothing like a good wedding.



6 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm with you, loved every second of the hype and enjoyed it for what it was. Wish I could have come to your awesome party but alas, I had to watch the wedding and recaps alone, as Bri tried not to roll his eyes! :) Was I around for the "cornbread cake"? If I was, don't remember it! Just something about devouring an entire coffee cake....?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to have been at your party. The cake was gorgeous, and your house looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am sad I missed the party. I loved the wedding. I didn't get up early for it, but I did watch it that afternoon and it was sweet and beautiful. I am amazed with your cake and scones. We have both come a long way when it comes to baking (remember when we made those overflowing cookies in your oven?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the story about the cornbread cake! glad this one turned out better. I'd love to watch you make roses sometime--very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Allison I just love you!! I'm glad you enjoyed it and am super amazed by your cake skills. Are those real flowers?? Well, I may have teased you about the wedding but you are right. There is no reason not to enjoy it if it's fun for you. I too wondered about the cornbread cake. At first I thought you were talking about the crumbled cake. One of my favorite stories by the way. ;) Anyway, LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete