Tuesday, May 24, 2011

DISNEY WORLD

Wow. What a wonderful week we had. The girls did awesome. They slept for a chunk of both flights and were pretty sweet when they were awake. They handled the heat and the long days in the park like champs, sleeping in their stroller and eating on the go. Evie really enjoyed all the rides. She has always been the more watchful child and loved taking in all the colors and lights. Rosie on the other hand, is less patient and more active. She would happily pay attention for a few minutes and then start attempting to do somersaults in your lap, trying desperately to break free. I also think she gets a little uneasy in the dark because she did far better on the well-lit rides. But all in all, they were both as perfect as we possibly could have hoped for.

We hit up Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom and also had two days just to relax by the pool. I can't decide which was my favorite. There is something so special about the Magic Kingdom but I really loved different aspects of the other parks too. I love all the different country pavilions at Epcot. We stayed for fireworks that night and it was so fun walking around in all the different areas all lit up. I also really loved Animal Kingdom and seeing all the animals and feeling like we were in a rain forest all day.

We had perfect weather the first couple days in the mid 80s with some cloud cover and a nice breeze. The heat slowly turned up throughout the week but we really lucked out. It wasn't very crowded at all and with fast passes I think the longest line we waited in was 25 minutes for the Jungle Cruise. Not bad at all. With two pregnant sisters-in-law and one very accommodating father-in-law, we were totally spoiled as far as being able to go on whatever we wanted and always having someone to watch the girls. That was so nice. Awesome to be able to do all the bigger rides but also just to stand in line with Ben and just be us. It reminded me of the trip to Disneyland we took before we had babies where we could just go from ride to ride completely carefree and not worry about naps or feedings or diaper changes. This time was far more complicated and more exhausting but still so much fun. Disney is always, always worth it. I can't wait to go back when our girls are older and will more fully enjoy all the rides, meeting the characters, and just being in such a wonderful place.

It was so fun to spend time with Ben's family. He has three funny brothers (one on a mission) and two sweet sisters. His older sister Teresa has four kids and one on the way and it was fun to have all the Meakin cousins together. We played cards and swam in the pool and ate a lot of food from multiple Costco runs.

On the last day, we bought the girls twin Minnie Mouse stuffed animals. I was planning on getting little tiny ones that they could more easily handle, but Ben insisted on the great big ones. I thought it was funny because if it had been me getting something for myself, he would have definitely been in favor of the smallest and cheapest option. Go figure...seems to be a different story with these mini beauties. Although a little difficult to drag around while crawling, they sure do love them and their papa for getting them.

After seven days in the heat and humidity and nine hour days walking the parks, Ben was ready to get our girls back in their routine---but I really could be on vacation forever. I felt a little lonely when I woke up yesterday back in my quiet house with my girls and no big plans besides a trip to the market and a mountain of laundry to get to. No hurried breakfast and coating the girls in head to toe sunscreen, packing up snacks, meals, milk, diapers, sunhats and toys, no frazzled tram rides, busy, fun filled days full of people and sights and smells of ice cream, cinnamon roasted nuts, and sweaty bodies. Oh I miss it already... but I do love the simple comings and goings of everyday life. How blessed we are to have the opportunity to get away and appreciate them once again.

(It was so busy I took maybe five photos all week but luckily Ben's dad was snapping pictures like crazy. Here are a bunch-- I'm not feeling choosy. :))



















5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a great time!!!! Makes me excited for our trip in a few months. The pictures were adorable! I love the one with Epcot Center in the back and one of the girls is waving! Too cute!! If you have any advice from your trip, send me an e-mail (after you tackle your laundry and get settled back into your normal routine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are the cutest family ever!!!! What fun memories and I'm glad you got the big Minnie Mouses. TOO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that it turned out to be such a great trip. Your girls are getting so big and are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a comment on booferd.blogspot.com and noticed your twin girls in your profile pic. My twin girls just turned 5 yesterday! I get a little envious when I see families with younger twins because it all goes by so fast. Your DW pics are great! We took our girls for the first time last year and I will always remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word! It was hard to read that post I was so jealous! And how adorable are those girls with their minnies!? Answer: Super Adorable! Isn't animal kingdom amazing, kilamanjaro safari! Get real! But magic kingdo, will have my heart! As you do.... Miss you, move home, mkay?!

    ReplyDelete