Friday, May 6, 2011

Mom's Day

A couple nights ago Ben and I were out for a walk and I picked a stem off a lilac bush and carried it with me the entire time. I LOVE the smell of Lilac and I think it's mostly because it reminds me of my mom. We always had lilacs growing in our backyard and she would cut big bushels of them to keep in the kitchen. Lilacs will always make me think of my mom...as will chocolate chip coffee cake, chocolate eclair fantasy, and chocolate chip cookies. The Primary song I Often Go Walking, big stacks of books, shopping and finding deals, and black and white cows. Red lipstick and Lancome makeup. Going on walks with pooches, Sunday dinners, and bowling. Rainy days and the song she used to sing to my sister and I, and hot chocolate and cinnamon toast. Gardner's Village and the state fair. The Church History Museum and the Daughters of Utah Pioneer Museum to see the two headed lamb. Decorations everywhere for every holiday, packages and cards for special occasions and for no reason at all. Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross. A clean house and taking pride in your appearance. Almond roca at Christmas time and old movies like Holiday Inn and White Christmas. Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Tony Randall. Forcing family pictures and being fiercely protective of her family and the time we spend together.

I love my mom. She does all the little things that make everything special and everyone feel loved. So much of her identity to me revolves around her being a mom to me and my brother and sisters. But I know there is much more than that too and what a huge sacrifice it is to give your whole life and self into the raising of your children. My appreciation for what it means and the effort it takes to be that kind of mom has grown a lot ever since having my own kids...and it still scares me a little. It is certainly a sacrifice and also an enormous blessing. I sit on the floor playing with my two girls and feel so lucky to be their mother and to be able to pour my entire self into the job. I know there is nothing more precious or important for me to do. Hooray for all the good moms out there that spend their lives teaching and taming and loving their kids.

We went up to Estes Park yesterday for a little adventure. It was gorgeous. There were elk everywhere!! They just roam the town and do whatever they please. We did a lot of walking, enjoyed sometime laying in the sun, had an unfortunately pukey dinner, strolled the town, drove around Rocky Mountain National Park, and got ice cream. Lovely, lovely day.




(this one is kinda dumb but check out the elk!)

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day my friend! You earned it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, you are amazing!! You are such a great mother and example to me!! I have said this before, and I'll say it again...those two girls are the luckiest girls in the world to have you! Love you! Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete