Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lent



I have never had much control when it comes to food. I am always starting a new "diet" or eating plan which usually border on ridiculous or impossible. I lay in bed and convince myself that TOMORROW I will suddenly be able to go all day eating nothing but vegetables. It's funny how doable and even easy these wild ideas seem the night before and that I continue this pattern again and again and AGAIN. With a little baby weight still clinging to me for dear life, it has been on my mind even more. After talking to one of my friends who is participating in lent for religious reasons I decided this was perfect opportunity for another go. I am LDS and therefore have never observed lent and am not claiming to follow any official lent rules or guidelines. This is my own version of a little self denial and preparation for Easter. I started March 15. For 40 days I am not eating any junk food and I am vowing to read my scriptures every single day. No cheating, no passes, no missed days. I reserve the right to decide what is and what is not junk food. For instance my low calorie chocolate animal crackers are NOT junk food. The banana bread I made yesterday for a neighbor (and ate about half of the second loaf) is not junk food. Ok...it really is. I went nuts on the banana bread with the excuse that it is "bread" (loaded with sugar, butter and even chocolate chips) but I am recommitting today to start anew and hoping that this post will solidify my commitment. No more banana bread.

One of my dearest friends and roommates from college would frequently stop at the vending machines around campus and load her backpack up with pretzels, a few candy bars, and a bag of cookies. This absolutely blew me away. She would spread the treats out over a long period of time eating a bite here, a handful there, and be set. I could never ever do that because the backpack would be empty by the end of the day and I would be sick. My problem is that I have a very hard time saying no to ice cream or anything chocolate and that bothers me. I feel the need to eat all the junk food in the house TODAY so that it can't sabotage me tomorrow. My lack of will power and my self destructive relationship with food makes me feel weak. I need to learn some self control. I am happy to say that (except for the banana bread that I was not currently accepting as junk food), I have ice cream in two forms in the freezer, left over mini candy bars I brought to my relief society lesson, licorice in the cupboard, and a husband who LOVES going out for milkshakes and have not yet faltered. I haven't missed a night of scripture study either.

This is really just proving to myself that I can do it. That I can resist what's in the cupboard or the cookies being passed around at a friends house. I don't need to eat ice cream to have a great weekend or to reward myself or to celebrate. I love having a sweet topper after a good meal and always will. If I live the rest of my life at this pudgy weight-- that's ok. I just want to be healthy, conscious, and in control. I like the idea of practicing self denial along with a boost in spirituality. My scripture reading habits are all over the board but I know I'm happier, less stressed, more at peace, and a better wife, mother, and person when I'm making it a priority. Eight days and counting...taking away the sweets and adding something sweeter.


We FINALLY got our apartment all cleaned out and turned in the keys. Hooray! Had to say goodbye to our headboard and the darling cherry blossom decals I had behind the girls' cribs. :(

7 comments:

  1. You and I are out of the same mold. Treats haunt me or I should say anything sugar calls to me until I stuff myself full of it. I've really come a long way in the last few months but know I have to be careful if I want to maintain control. Oh man I cracked up thinking of baby Gune. I miss you girls so much. Thats it - I'm talking to Bri tonight about tripping to CO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being at a Catholic school, I can't believe that I forgot about Lent! Maybe this is weird, but I love participating in Lent. I'm glad you are adding something too. I always think it's good to replace things. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do for the rest of Lent... xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!! I seem to do alright in the exercising category but then I eat all kinds of delicious desserts that wipe out all the work I just did. I need to give up the sweets too! Its just so hard!! But I'm proud of you for doing it!! P.S. The last picture of you and the girls is adorable! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you, Kristin, and I are the same! I love how we were all brought together! And i love how we can all help inspire each other now! I have been trying to cut out the sweets too...and my husband likes to go out for ice cream alittle more I dare say! ;-) I love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, you don't know me, but I saw your profile when you commented on Kristin's blog. (I'm her next-door neighbor that just moved to Denver.) I noticed that your profile says you live in Broomfield. I live in Wheat Ridge right now, but my husband and I are looking at houses in Broomfield. We are going to buy a house some time in the next 3-4 months. I've heard that the Broomfield schools are great and I like the neighborhoods I've seen. I wanted to ask you you--how is the ward? Is there any particular area of Broomfield you would recommend?

    Sorry if I seem like a total creeper talking to you out-of-the-blue like this. Kristin can tell you I'm harmless :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I forgot to mention my email address--that probably doesn't show up just because I left a comment. If you don't think I'm a creeper and you have a minute, my email is shayla.brink@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so ironic- I gave up candy for lent too! Not all sweets like you, just candy- (I'm not that hardcore). We must be sisters! Love you and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete