Thursday, April 21, 2011

Treasure





Drove back to good ole Colorado with my parents and had a splendid few days with them in town. We did some shopping, got pedicures, ate out, played Canasta, went into Boulder and Denver, bowled at Lucky Strike Lanes and just had a great time. One of my mothers favorite things is posing the girls and their cousins in different places. In flower beds, in the sand, in the leaves, in the snow...always darling and a good laugh because my dad and Ben find it so embarrassing. I have great parents. They spend most their time making fun of each other but they keep things lively and fresh and they love being together and I love being with them.

I cried at the airport dropping them off. Goodbyes are hard-- what's new? We had a wonderful time and I know I will see them again soon but it is still rough...probably more than it should be. Even when I am with my family, I end up spoiling it a little for myself by having too high expectations. I always work things up in my head and put too much pressure on myself to see tons of friends but also squeeze in as many "fun" things with my family as possible. I hate not living close to them so when we are together I just want everything to be perfect. It never works out quite like that. Plans always get spoiled, people have their own agendas, and nobody is as stressed about spending "quality time" together as I am. I find it both frustrating and comforting that things are always exactly the same. I just need to relax and realize that the time spent doesn't have to be anything in particular. A couple months and 500 miles isn't enough to change relationships. I have lived away for 9 months now and I still haven't quite figured out how to be gone and how to visit. I just want it to be easy and natural and not involve so many emotions.

I don't want to blog about this stupid topic ever again. Get over it, right? Honestly, I've gotten better and hardly worry about it anymore. But every time I'm with my family it all comes rushing back. I spend a day racked with anxiety beforehand trying to figure out how to squeeze everything in, stress while I'm with them, and when its over spend another day contemplating where I really want to live. It's these days that I feel like I'm just biding my time until I go to Salt Lake again...like that is the life that counts and Colorado is just filling the gaps in between. Sometimes I feel like the relationships and experiences we have with my parents and my siblings weigh more than the ones we have alone with just us and our girls. I don't think I ever really grew up-- that I ever let go of being a kid and defining myself and my life by my childhood family. I wonder if my family is just unusually close or if am I just unusually attached and kinda nuts? Why does this seem so much harder for me than it does for everyone else?

I'm learning lessons here. I'm not saying that I've been wrong to put so much importance and value on these people because they will always be a huge part of me and a huge part of my life...but these thoughts shouldn't occupy so much of my time and shouldn't give me so much heartache and anxiety. It's not healthy. Thank you to my husband for talking me through this AGAIN. How I wish my brain and my emotions functioned more like his...

I need to be better at being my own person. I need to be enough to stand alone and be fully invested in my own little family and my own little life. I can love Colorado without it having to compete. I love our house and our neighbors and our friends and our ward. I love the weather. I love all the fun things we do together. I love the horses and the cows at the side of the road. I love the parks. But most of all I love my little family. They are my treasure. Their lives and hearts revolve around me just as much as mine revolves around them. Colorado is where we are for now and this is where I'll be happy. It doesn't need to be complicated. I can have both places and all the relationships but this is where our life is. This is home...and it counts.

7 comments:

  1. 3 Nephi 13: 21 "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Since your post was titled treasure I thought of this scripture that I read earlier this week. Even though you and I are different personalities and come from different family dynamics I could still relate to your situation. Hang in there. I promise with time you'll find the balance comes more naturally and it will feel possible to treasure it all in a healthy way. Love you!! Keep enjoying your here and now in Colorado. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you have a treasure and you can be happy wherever you live. You have a great family in SLC and they will always be there for you. Remember the scripture about a man (or woman) leaving his father & mother and cleaving unto his wife (or husband). Life is full of adventures so don't stress over your visits--just enjoy them no matter how they turn out. Today we tried to go to the National Zoo and ended up driving to DC and back without making it--Jeremy said we drove to DC to go to the bathroom (since that is all we did there--except drive in traffic jams!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your girls are so beautiful! Glad you got to see family. It would be hard to be so far away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so hard to be away from family! I just remind myself that it is better to love them so much that it hurts to be apart rather than not feeling anything at all. It does get better, but it takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I don't have any scripture references to offer you or wise words of wisdom, but I can say that you need to stop being so hard on yourself. I feel like I am a litle "too close" to my family as well and know that I would be feeling the same way too. You HAVE made a nice little life with your husband and cute girls in Colorado but you miss your fam back home. Seems perfectly reasonable to me! I imagine that with time, the good-byes will be easier and time spent together will be less stressful as life in Colorado becomes more like "home" to you. You haven't been there terribly long so cut yourself some slack!! (And how I wish I could somtimes (and sometimes is the key word) have the reason and emotion of a man--seems like life would be much, much less complicated!)

    It was so good to see you while you were in town and next time, Cam will be locked in a cage! :) Next time you're coming, I am totally serious about hitching a ride back with you so I can come see your house and where you live. I would absolutely love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's okay. Lots of people spend all their time thinking about me and wanting to spend perfect moments with me. I hope the picture I sent earlier eases some of the home sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad we missed you guys! I can totally relate to your post, as Mia and I are getting ready to head back home on Wednesday. We've had the most WONDERFUL two weeks here with family and friends and I think I may cry all the way back home to Zeus and our little house in Texas. I'll have to remember that 3 Nephi quote and keep my head up! :)

    Hugs!
    Darcie

    ReplyDelete