Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Resolutions

I have been putting off this post. Whenever I think of the resolutions I made last year the only ones that pop into my mind are potty training and IVF-- both of which were attempted but so far unsuccessful. They will be moved on into resolutions for this year and that is a little discouraging. But after reviewing, I realize there were some goals that were made and met and others that were certainly improved on. I can be happy enough with that.

Here are the resolutions I made for 2012. 
  • Continue our improved scripture study routine: DONE. I must say that as far as scripture study goes, this year has been one of my best yet. I was a part of a GET FIT challenge with some friends and it involved spiritual and physical challenges. I read my scriptures or other church related material every day for 12 weeks straight and came in 2nd place. It was so good for me and came at the perfect time. We finished the challenge right around Thanksgiving and that is when I found out I wasn't pregnant. I was really grateful that I had really worked on my relationship with my Father in Heaven because I think that gave me a perspective and comfort I really needed. I didn't have to search for it when the hurt came because it was already there.
  • Get to the DENVER temple: DONE.
  • Stay for the entire 3 hour block of church rather than switching off taking the girls home to nap: DONE. With morning church and having the girls in nursery, church was wonderful. 
  • Find 5 new recipes good enough to include in the dinner rotation: Not quite. I haven't been cooking very much lately and when I do I tend to stick to our favorites... but I did add a few I can think of: Calazones, Cilantro Lime Chicken, Black Bean Enchiladas.
  • Eat fruits or veggies at EVERY meal: Nope. Still needs work.
  • Wash my face EVERY night: Nope. Washed my face far more than the year before but not every night.
  • Do IVF again this year to grow our family: We did but it didn't take. :(
  • Have date night twice a month: Hmmmm No. But we did go out much more than the year before.
  • Landscape the backyard. Plant a garden.: DONE.
  • Attempt potty training my two angels: Kind of. We started on New Years Eve. We still have a long way to go.
  • Work with Rosie and Evie every morning during breakfast on new words rather than waiting till bed when everyone is tired: Not every morning but we have done a lot of work together and the girls are definitely progressing. 
  • Get rid of Rosie's binky in the near future: DONE. Rosie was a champ. 
  • Continue to do some sort of workout video, gym, or long walk every day: Not every day but most days. We are so grateful for our very affordable, amazing gym right up the street and are there 4-5 days a week.  Ran my first half marathon which was an unplanned but awesome accomplishment this year. 
  • Go into the gym two mornings a week before work (ben): Not in the morning but in the evenings and played basketball with the ward on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He just got signed up to play on a league which is very exciting.
  • Continue enjoying the little things, treasuring Rosie and Evie, and making trips to SLC: DONE.
  • Don't sweat the small stuff and be patient with my girls: DONE (to the best of my abilities).
  • Try new restaurants: We could do this better but we did try to be more adventuresome this year.
  •  Find new fun things or mini vacations around Colorado: DONE.   

 I have brainstorming resolutions for the upcoming year and haven't come up with anything huge. I think I'm nervous to be too ambitious because there were a lot of goals from last year I still need to work on. I hate not meeting my goals but I sure do love setting them.
  1.  Get my dumplings completely potty trained but in a non stressed, positive manner. 
  2.  Attempt IVF again and either become pregnant OR run another half marathon. Both good things.
  3.  BE HAPPY and take life as it comes and know there is a time and a season for all things. Don't worry about what you can't control. Get through the winter without turning into a zombie and getting depressed.
  4. Finish Rosemary and Evelyn's book and get the photos organized on the computer.
  5. Continue good habits of scripture study, family prayer, personal prayer, and family home evening.
  6. Attend more full sessions at the Temple whether as a couple or individually.
  7. Continue to go to the gym at least 3 times a week, work out, and be healthy.
  8. Eat more fruits and veggies.
  9. Again, try new recipes to add to the dinner rotation.
  10. Magnify my calling and be happy doing it.  
  11.  Attempt to decrease the time spent on my phone in the presence of my children and husband. It's obnoxious.
  12. Get comfortable and try new things with the awesome new camera Ben got me for Christmas.
  13. Continue reading other good literature. Before I joined my bookclub it was taking me forever to get through a book because it was always the last thing on my list to do. I have loved making it a higher priority and always having a story to come back to everyday.
  14. STOP complaining. Replace with gratitude. There is certainly a time and  a place and "VENTING" is perfectly ok. But I do a lot of random complaining as a source of humor or to be conversational.  People may be under the impression that I'm not crazy about my husband or my perfect little girls or my life when just the opposite is true.
  15. Spend more time on the floor engaging in focused play with my Eve and Rose. They are at such a fun age and love to pretend. I want to be a part of their imaginary world as much as I can.

And that's that. Here's to another wonderful year of attempted resolutions.

The last two weeks in photos:









4 comments:

  1. I love the way you review your goals year to year and put them on your blog! What a great way to remember what your goals are and to be more accountable. (I think I might copy you! :) We share some of the same goals.... like potty training!! You can always call or text me when you need to vent! :)

    Love the pictures of your girls! Especially the ones in front of the horses and with you dog. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) Hope you had a super fantastic day!! You deserve it!

    Oh... and on goals #2..... I vote for the FIRST option!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your goals, and love the bubble bath picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an inspiration! I've never written out my goals so detailed--guess I'm afraid of failure (though I have accomplished much over the years). I've never had a hard time remembering to wash my face each night but reading scriptures each day (without missing) and magnifiying my callings are always a challenge! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete