Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy New Year


 I feel completely unmotivated to blog. We've been working on potty training and it takes it out of me. It also means that when nap time finally rolls around, not only am I more tired than usual but the house is much messier. Rather than getting out and doing activities or running errands or keeping on top of it throughout the morning, I have been completely focused on chasing these crazy girls and trying to anticipate every dribble of pee. (which in Rosie's case is seriously about 10 times an hour or in Evie's case about 1 every 3 hours...very different girls) and allowing the house to get destroyed. Ugh.


 It is getting better. We started on Monday and I'm glad we did because Ben was home to undergo the roughest day. Tuesday we pretty much bagged because when Evie woke up she couldn't put any weight on her right foot and couldn't walk. Walking takes precedent over being a big girl. We took her to Urgent Care to get x-rays and they were clear. We think she pulled a muscle or had a cold settle in her hip. But Wednesday came and she was fine and we started again. I've decided to just take it half days at a time or even just 3-4 hours at a time. It helps me stay positive and is less overwhelming for all of us. I don't have it in me to go all day. It may be a little confusing to switch back and forth and may end up taking longer but for now this is all I can muster. Today we had no accidents from 8:45-12 and decided to quit while we are ahead.
 
We had a wonderful time ringing in the New Year with some great friends and were very grateful for a much needed escape from the potty training torture prison.

Reviewing 2012:

January:
Ben and I celebrated our birthdays and passed the stomach flu around. Rosie and Evie turned 18 months old and could FINALLY go to nursery which was awesome. I was surprised to read that at this point Rosie was the quieter and shyer of the two but that has definitely changed.  Nowadays, Evie still does quite a bit of babbling especially when she is lost in her imaginary play but Rosie has zoomed ahead with decipherable language and is more comfortable socializing. These girls change every day.


February:
We went to Salt Lake and spent much of the week up in Park City with the family. The girls came home with colds and ear infections. This was not a good month for Rosie. She burned her tiny ear on my flat iron earlier in the month and then later got pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital for a very long 4 days.
 

March:
February took it out of me and I got depressed. I was in a winter rut and didn't really climb out of it until my parents came in town for a quick visit. Learned the importance of taking mommy breaks, sunshine, and exercise. Longingly awaiting spring.

April: 
We went to SLC for Easter and had such a great trip. We spent much of the time outside playing in the sunshine. Ben re-landscaped the back yard and got rid of all the gravel, laid sod, and built a fire pit and planter boxes. Superman. I started running.

May: 
We went on an awesome trip to Steamboat Springs with Ben's family and started getting good use out of our hiking backpacks. Ben's parents and Cindy and Chris stayed and played back at home for a couple days and Daniel and Becca joined us too. I had PRK done to fix my eyes which has been an awesome blessing. Ben and I ran the BolderBOULDER over Memorial Day.



June: 
My wonderful friends Elizabeth, Shawna, Kim, and Suzanna came and visited for a fun filled weekend. I flew out to Salt Lake for one night to surprise my dad for his 60th birthday and had a blast. Our gorgeous girls turned 2 years old!


July: 
One of my dearest friends Tami came for a visit. Celebrated the 4th of July with family and friends. Sand, surf, and sun at Newport Beach. Great runs. Disneyland. Partied hard the rest of the month in Salt Lake. Celebrated Pioneer Day and ran my first half marathon with my big sis.


August: 
Watched the Olympics every chance we got. Sucked up every last second of summer.


September:
We celebrated Labor Day and a blue-moon weekend up in Estes Park. Great time of the year to go. We had Ben's family in town to welcome his little brother home from his mission and had a great time. I went to Time Out For Women with some gals and made some new friends and loved it. My little bro flew in for about 24 hours for a med school interview and it was so fun to hang out with him. We welcomed fall with a trip up to Squaw Pass.


October:
We celebrated our 5 year anniversary by going to Red Rocks for a Jason Mraz concert in the rain and then later in the month met up with my family to see some plays at the Shakespeare Festival. Then our little family went on to Zion for some unbelievable hiking. We started taking meds for our IVF cycle. We did a lot of raking in the back yard and spent many a morning at the pumpkin patch. My parents came in for a quick fun visit on their way home from Winter Quarters. We got a bad case of the croup but still had a great Halloween with our ladybugs.


November:
We went to SLC for IVF. The whole process went much better than expected but didn't result in success. :( Ben's family came in town right after for Thanksgiving and it was great to have them here.


December: 
We had a busy and festive holiday season in Colorado and it was just what I needed. It was so much fun celebrating with two 2 year olds and all the magic that brings. We went to Salt Lake (for the fifth time this year.....I know) and had a wonderful holiday.

This was a very time consuming post but so fun to write. I went back and read just about everything from the past year and am so overwhelmed by what an amazing 12 months we have had. I am so lucky to have such  a great, supportive husband, two perfect girls, and so many fun times together. We are so lucky to have such wonderful family and to have gotten to see so much of them this year. I'm so grateful for our good friends here, the ones we get to see so often in Salt Lake, and the ones we miss but stay in touch with. We had an amazing year filled with lots of joy and many blessings. 

Resolutions to come.

5 comments:

  1. Oh potty training twins! When the twins were potty training it was the longest two days ever! I set a timer and every 15 min they could sit on the potty with a sucker. Sit there for at least 10 minutes then suckers were out back up. If they had potty success they got a m&m. But literally... Every 15 minutes a timer went off... For 10 hours! We didn't even watch cartoons the first day because they would get distracted.... The next day they could watch a show as long as they were on a potty! Halfway through the second day they got it! Whew.... Good luck sister! Makes me tired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't put too much pressure on yourself with the potty-training stuff. If it is too big of a nightmare, back off for a bit. I dreaded (and am still dreading training child #2) training Cam but I waited till he was 3 and READY and it was smooth as could be. I have heard that if you try too early or they aren't ready that it can really be hard-- so if it is seeming like too much, wait a bit. They'll get it! Hang in there, mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post!! So fun to look back at all the neat things your family did!

    Good luck with potty training! I am SOOOO not looking forward to this milestone (or process) with Jaden. My mom has been hammering me for months to potty train him. She thinks they should be put on the toilet since birth and swears that all her kids were potty trained by 18 months. Ugh! I just don't share her logic on this one. I just don't have the desire to put my kids on the toilet every hour. All of my research and friends and doctor say to wait until they are older and that it goes much smoother. I have been trying to encourage him to sit on the potty here and there and get a treat, but I wouldn't say we are making any progress. Oh well. I am not pushing it. PLEASE share your tips with me! GOOD LUCK!!!

    Do you still have plans for a frozen IVF transfer this month or early Feb? Please keep me posted so I can say lots of prayers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potty training is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my almost 12 years of being a mom. It will be easier on you if you have no expectations. Don't expect it to happen in a few days or even a few weeks. Think more like months before they are reliably going without accidents. Then if it happens sooner it will be a nice surprise. I waited until my kids were 3, at which point we made a big deal out of throwing away the diapers and never going back. But that pretty much meant I was just cleaning up messes for a month with a couple of them. Others caught on quicker. Good luck, and if it were me I would hit it hard now (assuming they are ready--I can't remember how old they are) because it will be worse when you are pregnant or have a newborn. Remind yourself that they WILL eventually get it, even when it seems that they never will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. potty trains is the least favorite thing a parent must do. Just hope they are ready cause it is easier if they are (but still very hard!) Good luck! (just remember--this too shall pass)

    ReplyDelete