Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I love these four.

Just had a lovely visit from my parents. My dad had work off and my mom wasn't sure when she needed to be in town for jury duty but last minute they changed their plans and came on out for a quick visit. I'm so glad they did. I got a little stressed out and went around Saturday cleaning everything that was already clean and driving my husband nuts. I'm sure this anxiety is amplified by the fact that I don't live near my family. If the house is a mess, I don't get a lot of chances to redeem myself.

I don't know what it is about mothers and daughters. I just want her to think I'm doing a good job. My hideous carpet seriously only looks descent for one hour after I unplug the Hoover so naturally all the toys need to be picked up and the carpet vacuumed within the hour of their arrival (even if it was already vacuumed that morning). My logic is: if everything is in its place, she will think I'm a good mom and that she raised me well. Like the state of the carpet says everything about who I am as a mother and in turn, who my mom is as a mother. But it doesn't. She did raise me well and already thinks I'm a good mom. Keeping a tidy home is tough with two ever-so-destructive toddlers and all moms know that, even mine. Sometimes the fix I need is time with my parents because their love and approval mean so much. They make me feel like I'm doing something right.

I felt completely at ease once they came and wondered why I worry so much. I've been really hard on myself lately and I'm tired of it. I feel like I've been trying to prove myself to someone...or maybe just to myself. No one else is judging me. I AM a good mom even if the house is messy and my children refuse to talk. I need to relax and just enjoy my beautiful girls exactly where they are right now-- tearing apart the house and babbling mumbo jumbo everywhere they go.

This chaotic time is precious and I'm sure I'll miss their babbling baby talk when it's gone and even the messes I find around EVERY corner. (although I'm sure the messes will LONG outlast the babbling). Worrying about these things doesn't make me a better mom. Sometimes being a better mom is putting all those worries on the shelf and saying, "for now, it is what it is" and smiling at your babies. Seems obvious enough.

They came and we ate, played a little cards, watched movies, took the girls to gymnastics, went to Pearl Street, and the mall... and just hung out. I loved having them here and them getting a little glimpse of our everyday life. Rosie and Evie ADORE them and cried at the window when they drove away. Good thing Easter is only a couple weeks away.

3 comments:

  1. Your girls are so sweet. I love your family. And I seriously cannot wait to see you at Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Allison, I found your blog after I saw your post about sick Rosie on Facebook. Your honesty is such a blessing to me right now. I'm right there with you. Well, I don't have twins, but I have had sick grumpy kids, been overwhelmed, just trying to keep it together. It is so nice to know I'm not alone. So glad your parents could come for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad your parents were able to come visit you! what a fun gymnastics place!!

    ReplyDelete