Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Looking Up




I'm trying to start this week off right and have a good attitude and be positive. I have let myself slip into somewhat of a funk the last couple weeks and enough is enough.
It started with homesickness. The first six weeks we were here are a blur. I feel like I was so busy just trying to stay afloat being a new mom I hardly even realized that I was away from home. I think I was just handling one major adjustment and transition at a time. Number 1: motherhood. Now that things have settled down into more of a routine, I am beginning to process Number 2:moving. For me, this has been the harder of the two. I miss being around my family and friends that actually KNOW me. I miss relationships based on more then just the fact that we are both moms or both desperately looking for friendship. Even worse, I hate that I have these two amazing little girls who are growing and changing every day and no one nearby to share it with. It breaks my heart.
Then right in the thick of my pity party, my little sister goes through something huge and hard and it kills me to be so far from home.
THEN Rosemary decided to stop sleeping at night. Instead of doing her lovely 6 hour stretches...she cuts back to sleeping for a couple hours at a time and then crying for a couple hours more. Not hungry, not sick. Just crying. Miserable.
AND of course I pick right now to really start caring about my weight again. I gained 38 lbs while pregnant and dropped 30 almost immediately but now the rest seems to be permanent and I think I started even GAINING again. BOO.

But I guess the whole point of my writing today was to declare that enough is enough and I am pulling myself out of my funk...rather than just writing myself deeper into it. I realize how much my attitude dictates the rest of my families happiness. I remember my mom having that power growing up and that she still has it today. It's easy to forget that now I'm an adult and I'M THE MOM and have to carry that responsibility. I have the power to be happy and positive and to create a happy, positive home or to be grouchy and short and depressed and to drag everyone else down with me. I'm allowed to have a bad day or even a bad week or month...but I know I can do better than what I have been doing lately. I know I have so much to be grateful for and things really aren't THAT bad. I'm heading out to SLC October 22 which is only a few weeks away and get to be there for nine whole days! I really love where we are at. It is beautiful and I have met a lot of great people. I stay busy and am doing much more socially then I ever anticipated I would be this early on. I am part of a wonderful twins group and have found some great friends through it and from our ward. It certainly isn't the same yet, but how could it be? I know this transition will get easier with time (or we'll move back :)).
My sister is doing remarkably well and I know I can support and love her even from Colorado.
Rosie slept until 4:15 Sunday night and 4:45 last night so that was a wonderful relief.
AND I have a new diet where I am forcing myself to eat 10 baby carrots before I can eat anything between meals which is obviously a fail proof plan and I'll be fit as a fiddle in no time.:)
So...things are looking up.
No more grouchy, weepy, me. Promise.

8 comments:

  1. The girls are beautiful and I must see you when you are in SLC! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in a big ole funk too but have no plans to come out of it for like 22 days. And in 22 days I intend to start eating nothing but spinach blended with protein powder. So I'm set too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali, first of all....you only gained 38 lbs, pregnant with twins?!?! How did I always gain 50 with only one?! I find myself in a funk sometimes too, but it is totally normal. I'm glad you get to go see family next month! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you have been having a rough time. You are amazing and if anyone can pull themself out of a funk, it is you. You are always trying to be positive and I love that about you, especially since I am horrible at it. And I'm with Jackie--gaining ONLY 38 pounds WITH TWINS is great and the fact that you have practically lost all of it is even more amazing. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's only been what, 3 months since you had the babies??!?! Cut yourself some slack my dear!!

    So glad you are coming to UT soon. I hate that now that you are a stay-at-home mom like me you live so far away. I need to plan a trip to CO ASAP. Love you girlie. CALL ME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been doing a great job taking care of me! Thank you for all the phone calls, texts, and for looking stuff up for me online. I'm doing fine- take care of you! I'm eating myself out of my funk on a strict candy and ice cream diet, with the occasional loaf of bread to give it a healthy balance. 9:00 am, and I already have a box of Dots, a Tootsie Roll, some Starbursts, and a hunk of french bread down. Perfect. I truly don't know when I last ate substantial protein, or anything that qualifies as real food. Hang in there, can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait until you come to Utah!! I was so sad that I missed you over Labor Day. Your girls are absolutely adorable!! Rosie kind of reminds me of Addie at that age. I am sorry that you are in a funk. I am too, if that's any consolation. I don't have an amazing plan to get myself out of it though, so you are one step ahead of me. I do think sleep deprivation plays a role in that too. Anyway, hang in there...Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I don't know what it is like with the twins I do understand being away from family and those that know you best. What I can say is that if you find a few of those friendships where you are and decide they are keepers then really invest yourself in them. It took some time but I can honestly say my two best friends here in Vernal are like sisters to me. There is no limit on how many close meaningful relationships you can have so do yourself a favor and make a few of those special ones where you are. It will save your sanity, I promise! Love you and the girls are gorgeous. I'm thinking of maybe heading to Fort COllins before it snows to visit family and help a neighbor who is moving to the Denver area. If I do I WILL be visiting you!!! So much love and you are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your girls are adorable!!! My little girl will be a month this week and the funk is starting...she spends her nights wailing too and it's tough. Your positive outlook is helpful and it made me feel better knowing I'm not the only mom with a screaming baby...hope all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete