Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

This will probably be a dreadfully boring post to read for everyone besides me but I have loved reflecting on the past 12 months.

2011 was an amazing year for us. Our girls grew from tiny little babies to walking, talking (kinda) toddlers. How we love watching them grow. We are a very blessed, happy family. Here is a list of highlights:

January: We were busy house hunting every weekend and went to the fabulous Lakeshore gym almost every evening just to get out. The girls were sitting, rolling, and just beginning to scoot.February: Our condo finally sold in Salt Lake and that nightmare finally ended. The weekend after we returned home after signing the final papers we lost my sweet, niece Lily and had to come right back to SLC for the funeral and to be with family. We were also there for the Jane Austen Romance Ball. We finally found our house and went under contract!
March: We moved out of our apartment by the FlatIrons Mall and into our new house. The girls turned 9 months old and both started crawling and eating table food. Grandma and Grandpa Meakin came for a visit.
April: We celebrated the girls first Easter and spent a lot of time at furniture stores. We went to SLC for a visit while Ben painted our kitchen cabinets white. My mom and dad drove me home and stayed for a days. After one final break down, I FINALLY started to consistently feel better about our move. HOORAY! We celebrated the union of Prince William to Kate Middleton. :)
May: We went to Disney World for the Meakin family reunion and had the best time. Ben ran the Boulder Boulder and I met my family in Vegas for a quick getaway.
June: The start of a wonderful but busy summer chasing these girls. Our little beauties turned 1 and we had a huge backyard party to celebrate.July: We met my family in Newport Beach and had an awesome but crazy time. I spent the rest of the month in SLC enjoying my family and friends and Benny flew out for King Jakey and Rach's big day.August: Evie took her first steps at 13 months old. My sweet niece Saidie was born. Went to SLC again for my 10 year HS reunion and my dear friend Jen drove me back for a visit. Started getting really into crafting.
September: Started gearing up for fall. I was devastated by my old woman tooth falling out. We went to SLC AGAIN to get the girls ready for their stay with Grandpa and Grandma E.October: Went to New Orleans and had an amazing time, just my Benny and me. Celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary on the Mississippi River. Cindy and Chris moved out to Colorado and into our basement. We had a lovely visit from Shelley and Meags. Rosie finally started walking at 16 months old. Had a wonderful Halloween with our two little butterflies.
November: Raking leaves non-stop. Loving fall. We had a visit from Grandpa Meakin. Fun filled Thanksgiving in Salt Lake, the Festival of Trees, and babies first hair cut! My little sis and Em drove me back to Denver and we had a great weekend together. Ben did a perfect job finishing the dining room.December: Baking, baking, baking. Holiday brunch, Christmas parties, zoo lights, visiting Santa, Family Christmas, and our awesome trip out to Maryland for more Christmas and Daniel and Becca's wedding.

Seriously, what a great year.

Here is a look at the resolutions I made last year:
In 2011 I hope to:
  • Have more consistent family scripture study-- done
  • Read and cook more--done
  • Try new things with my hair--bangs but not much else.
  • Stop holding grudges and worrying so much--improved
  • Lose the 10-15 lbs I'm STILL carrying around post-babies--lost 10 pounds in November!(now doing damage control from Christmas...ugh)
  • Eat more veggies and keep going to the gym--done
  • Start a new hobby: maybe sewing??--not sewing but crafting
  • Spend more time alone as a couple-- done (started doing date night swaps with a friend and taking advantage of our wonderful family in Colorado)
  • Get to the temple more often-- still needs work
  • Treasure every day and phase my baby girls are in while they are so little and change so fast.-- done
  • Cuddle and celebrate Rosie and Evie as individuals--done
  • Be kinder and more patient with my husband--done (I think)
  • Be happy and enjoy the little things-- done
  • Make new friends and strive to make Colorado feel like home but continue to make lots of visits to SLC!--DONE. Probably my biggest success this year. We did indeed make MANY trips out to SLC but I got so much better at them as the year went on. I stopped having anxiety over my visits and truly enjoyed them. Learned how to miss my family in a healthy way. I am much happier in Colorado than I ever thought I could be. We have made some wonderful friends out here but I've also realized how much I adore my old friends too-- and that moving away doesn't mean losing them. Best of both worlds.
I have learned to treasure and make my own little family my priority. This year has been huge for me in becoming more my own person and thinking of myself as an adult (late bloomer). This year has been about enjoying motherhood for all that it is.

Resolutions for 2012: Ben and I have been brainstorming.
In 2012 we/I hope to:
  • Continue our improved scripture study routine
  • Get to the DENVER temple
  • Stay for the entire 3 hour block of church rather than switching off taking the girls home to nap.
  • Find 5 new recipes good enough to include in the dinner rotation
  • Eat fruits or veggies at EVERY meal
  • Wash my face EVERY night.
  • Do IVF again this year to grow our family
  • Have date night twice a month
  • Landscape the backyard. Plant a garden.
  • Attempt potty training my two angels.
  • Work with Rosie and Evie every morning during breakfast on new words rather than waiting till bed when everyone is tired.
  • Get rid of Rosie's binky in the near future.
  • Continue to do some sort of workout video, gym, or long walk every day.
  • Go into the gym two mornings a week before work (ben).
  • Continue enjoying the little things, treasuring Rosie and Evie, and making trips to SLC.
  • Don't sweat the small stuff and be patient with my girls.
  • Try new restaurants
  • Find new fun things or mini vacations around Colorado

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. You had a great year, and it sounds like you have a great year ahead of you. I used the book Diaper Free Before Three and loved it for a potty training resource. Have you tried Devil's Food Bakery in Denver? We would stop there when we went to the temple. At bit strange for a temple visit, but amazing brownies. Props to you on the weight loss. I have (unfortunately) gained back the weight I lost and it isn't from having a baby so I have some work to do. I just love sugar so much. Your girls are simply darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This wasn't a boring post at all! I loved the recap of the year and also the new goals you listed! They are fantastic! I like how specific you were and how well rounded they all are. Gives me inspiration. :) I'm excited to hear that IVF is on your list! Be sure to keep me posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the goals - way to go on continuing scripture studing. We are still trying to find a good balance with Sydney. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete