Sunday, December 4, 2016

Summer Summer

AUGUST 2016 (never posted)

I always have such grand plans for summer. I always think we are going to have time to repeat my favorite activities again and again and see my favorite people multiple times a week. But summer, and this one more than ever, always slips away so fast and before you know it we are in August. I start getting a pit in my stomach as soon 4th of July hits because it is always downhill from there and then August is all about back to school shopping and registration and preparation. This has been a glorious summer and I'm not ready for it to be over. But then I'll have an afternoon of nothing but screaming and fighting and bursting into tears for ridiculous reasons and I start thinking maybe we are ready. I get so worried about summer being over, I forget how spectacular fall is. There is always something to look forward too.

 I just wish R and E were going back to the lovely, semi structured days of Kindergarten...or better yet, preschool. First grade is just way too long to be away from home and not enough time for me to have them at my disposal for activities and childhood. :( We have 3 more weeks of summer and we are going to soak it up. Planning trips to the drive in, to the pool, camping, eating shaved ice, and hiking in the beautiful mountains.

June started off busy and ended busy. I feel like I was only in town for a handful of days. It started with the end of school and a big, early birthday party for my Rose and Eve. They invited their cousins, all their friends from school, and their avenues friends. We had pizza and played games (including some hilarious failed balloon games, had a pinata, ate cake, opened presents and sent everyone home. It was perfect. The girls got new bikes and lovely new writing/art table in the kitchen for their projects and upcoming 1rst grade homework.














We went on a mother/daughter camping trip to Lagoon. We went with some other moms in the ward who all have campers and it was a little stressful, super hot, and lots of fun. Grandma, Erin, Ella and Ava came too. Gwen was super brave going on a bunch of big kid rides-- such a trooper. The camper took a beating but we were all safe and had a great time so that's what counts. I hadn't been to Lagoon in years and it was even better then I remembered.





Then I went to Moab with a bunch of girls that I taught in Russia with 10 years ago for a long overdue reunion. It was so good to spend time with these old friends. We rafted the colorado river and stayed in Amber's gorgeous cabin and hiked in Arches National Park.











The next week I went BACK down to Moab to go on the YW/YM river trip which was also a blast. I had some trouble with my eye but it was a great time getting to know the girls better and all the leaders. We have a great ward.

Then we went to Newport for our annual Enslin trip to the beach. We went to the kids activities eveyr morning, went to the beach every day, and hung out and watched movies and Shark Tank every night. It's really fun watching my girls make memories with their cousins and grandparents in the same places where I have so many memories as a kid. Ben taught the girls how to boogie board and they were so much braver in the water this year. Newport pier and Pipeline and TK Burger forever.









We celebrated fourth of July with the Hayes backyard bash and the girls did a darling hula dance and sang "It's a Grand Old Flag". We also hiked and played in the river up by Albion Basin. So lucky to live in this incredible country.


That weekend we left for Kentucky for the Meakin Family Reunion at Teresa's house. The girls could not have had a better time playing and swimming with their cousins from sun up to sun down. So good to spend time with everybody. We had the Parade of Patriots, a bell choir to patriotic songs and hymns, and talent show where the girls did their hula dance again. We went to the Louisville slugger museum, to the trampoline park, to the movies, and the boys went shooting and played a round of golf. We went to the temple and Cindy taught me how to do family history which I'm hoping to dig into this year. I feel lucky to be apart of this family.








The rest of July was spent going to the pool every day for swimming lessons. Rosie and Evie passed Level 2 which was excellent and Gwenie begged for lessons but wasn't 3 yet so all she could do was mommy and me which she is way too big for. We went up to Pineview to camp this last weekend with Tami and Liz and I was blown away by how gorgeous it is. Ben and I spend a weekend up there 8 years ago for our anniversary and I'm so glad we discovered it again. Eden/Huntsville are the sweetest, sleepiest little farm towns and nestled into the mountains like something out of a storybook. I want to retire up there with a boat and horses. We are definitely camping there again...hopefully before cold weather hits. We rented a jet ski as a compromise of Ben's dream to buy a boat and it was easy and fun and the girls loved it. Ben did get a ticket for not holding up a flag so we've yet to find out how expensive this outing was but it was worth it.





We will be back up in Hunstville in September (EEEEEEEK that suddenly seems to close!!) for my marathon. I ran 18 miles last week, half down Big Cottonwood and half along Wasatch and had the best run of my life. Everything just clicked and I felt like I could go forever. I was only planning on 16 but tacked on the extra two. My last two 15 mile runs were brutal and discouraging and I was doubting my ability to do this at all so this run was just what I needed.  I have a 20 miler coming up and now I'm nervous because I know it'll never be that good again. I live for those magic runs...or at least I run for them.


Rosie and Evie went to Wheeler Farm camp in August and we spent another weekend up in Huntsville camping with the family. We had an amazing mother daughter adventure day up in the Uintah Mountains with my incredible friend Alli. We were to the Provo falls and went kayaking and to fairy forest. We also had a family celebration day up at Snowbird riding the Alpine slide and doing all the fun activities up there. School started and it was broke my heart at first but we have started to adjust to the new routine. THey have the a wonderful teacher, Mrs. Peterson who seems very much on top of her game. Gwena started her first year of preschool at the Utah Dance Center and although she adamantly refuses to potty train, she insists she is a big girl now. Rose and Eve also went back to ballet there and love it...even if at first I wasn't sure if it was there thing or not haha.

Summer was glorious and I love this family.




























No comments:

Post a Comment