Thursday, February 2, 2012

where a kid can be a kid

That awful flu bug spread far and wide. It seems everyone we know has gotten it which has kept social outing to a minimum lately. Poor Cindy took it home with her from our house and we got the pleasure of watching Sadie for an afternoon so her mom could get some rest. These girls are obsessed with their cousin. Rosie especially. They love giving her hugs and kisses and helping put her binky in her mouth and putting her blanket on her. Pretty cute.The sister missionaries came over later that day for dinner and Sister Maldonado offered to give my shaggy little girls a haircut. It's pretty short but darling. I like them looking clean and tidy but I'm wondering how I'm ever going to grow their hair out to a nice length...I suppose eventually we'll just have to grit our teeth through a few sloppy months. The girls hated having it done but we put on some Baby Signing Time for them to watch and all was well. The girls have been obsessed with it lately and I have been amazed by how much they are picking up from it. They rock their arms back and forth and say "baby, baby" during the opening song or do that and point to the TV if they want to watch it. They sign baby, more, milk, horse, eat, and cracker. And my little Rose who always seems to pick up on words a couple weeks after her sister just suddenly started saying "cracker", "grandma/grandpa" and "Clover" pronounced "Go-Gur". Loving it.
We are always trying to find fun things to do with the girls that are age appropriate enough to make it worth the money- especially in the colder weather. We found a win at Chuck E Cheese last weekend. I have the best memories of that place growing up. It was super crowded with some wacky characters but the girls had a great time. They have a whole section of toddler games, rides, and a little play place. Rosie was pretty terrified of the rides but Evie loved them. Rose was as always a huge fan of the slide. You can't go to Chuck E Cheese without ski ball and the girls loved climbing all over it and watching Ben play. The environment was a little overstimulating and the girls couldn't face forward long enough to eat their dinner but $20 for a pizza, drinks, and enough tokens to play for as long as we could stand was well worth it.




Yesterday morning we had some drama. Since the girls have dropped their morning nap I've had to start getting ready for the day while they watch Baby Signing Time or run wild in my bedroom. I was just finishing up yesterday while Rosie sat nearby pulling cotton balls out of a bag all over the floor when Evie started crying in the bedroom. I stepped out to go get Evie and reentered the bathroom just in time to see Rosie holding my hot flat iron and bringing it up to her head. It was terrible. She ended up giving her self a pretty bad burn on her ear which resulted in mass hysteria. Evie was still crying and then of course Rosie started screaming. I immediately got a cold washcloth on her ear and rushed downstairs to give her Tylenol and get on the phone with the doctor. Luckily I was able to put Evie in her crib and she fussed for a few minutes and then fell right to sleep so I could just hold Rosie. We both laid in my bed crying for awhile (mostly me) and then she fell asleep in my arms. Nothing like the guilt of bad mothering. The burn isn't even bad and by last night it had almost completely disappeared and is now just a bit pink. But that blister on her little ear haunted me all day long and as I tried to fall asleep last night. It could have been SOOOOOO much worse and I'm so grateful it wasn't.We spent the rest of the afternoon playing, doing puzzles, and going on a long walk and to the park. In honor or the Superbowl this weekend I let them run around on the football field at Broomfield Commons which they loved. Trying to enjoy the sunshine because apparently a foot of snow is heading our way tonight. Boo to the groundhog.

8 comments:

  1. ok love love love the new haircut! So stinking cute! Sad news about the flat iron incident :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little Rosie! But it sounds like she's just fine. I love your hair in the picture of you and Rose at Chuck E Cheese. The girls are so dang cute. I honestly just stare at all these pictures for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are reading each other's blogs at the same time! :) Yes we are super excited about the house!! Fingers crossed it goes through ok! And I had a call this morning for someone already interested in our current home! We don't even have it listed or anything yet! Woohoo!! It's the first bite!

    So sorry about Rosie's ear! That's sad! It's so hard to teach kids about stuff that will hurt them. When ever I am pulling dinner out of the oven, Jaden wants to come over and try to stick his hands in! Luckily I always stop him in time, but it's scary!! Hope Rosie's ear is feeling better soon!

    I think their hair cuts are adorable! They look so grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hair in the Chuch E Cheese picture and the girls look adorable. So sad about Rosie's ear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww you went to Chuck E Cheese without us!! We'll have to come with you next time. I have an irrational obsession with Chuck E Cheese. LOVE the place. :) Sorry yesterday was so stressful! Poor little Rosie, though I'm sure she got over it before you did. Kids are resilient!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love reading your posts!! You are a GREAT mother!! I just really can't believe how big the girls are getting! Miss you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are HUGE fans of Baby Signing Time too and my little girl wakes up signing and saying "baby" and points at the tv. Guess we watch it too much.
    So sorry about the burn! Not fun at all. My little one broke her leg last week on a slide...I think I cried more than she did! Joys of motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Children are pretty durable--though we mothers can freak out easily when we see "what could of happened!" My dad used to calm me by saying--"they don't die easily." Hang in there--you are a great mother! (just keep that iron up higher next time)

    ReplyDelete